First Sentence to First Sale - Being a Writer
Learn to think like a writer, be a writer and embrace an author mindset. Develop a writing criteria and sort story ideas.
First Sentence to First Sale -Three writing courses designed for novice, want-to-be-writers or writers looking for guidance. It is a complete overview; from preparing you to be an author, writing your first sentence, your first story and through to publishing your first book. Feel the shiny cover smell the printer’s ink!
Get Rid of Page Fright & Learn to Write - Course 1
This course explores and defines all aspects of becoming a writer. We will help you solve problems and enhance your writer’s mindset, enabling you to write what you want to write, at your own pace with ease and passion.
- Why do you want to write?
- What motivates you to write? i.e. money, literary prizes, just for fun, family history and you may have other reasons.
- Distractions: Is finding time to write a problem for you?
- Are constant interruptions and intrusion interfering with your writing?
- Are you easily distracted? i.e. social media, phone calls, emails.
- Do you try hard to move forward only to self-sabotage?
- Do you worry that committing to writing will take time away from work or family
- Are you listening to self-doubts, wondering if you have the ability to write?
- Is your head exploding with ideas but how do you start?
- Are you struggling to find an idea or one that is interesting enough to write about?
- What are you prepared to give up to write? i.e. It can be as simple limiting T.V.
- What is it you want to write? Is it fiction? i.e. mystery, romance or sci-fi and more
- Are you writing creative nonfiction, journaling, memoir or therapy writing, not sure where to start? Are you afraid of bearing your soul, worried about what people might think?
- The Importance of being a reader: Are you a reader? Writing and reading go together. If you aren't an avid reader the course will tell you why it's important.
By the end of course one, you will know why you want to write, or not, and that’s okay. You will have determined your motivation, scheduled time and committed to writing. Banished, at least, some self-doubts, focused on one idea and decided on the genre or type of story and written a synopsis of the story. You are ready to start writing!
First Sentence to First Sale - An overview of all courses Get Rid of Page Fright & Learn to Write, Now available. Let's Get Writing Course 2 & Polish, Print & Publish course 3. Scheduled for release January 2019. Each course is sold separately .
Motivating writers to get started and encouraging them to keep going!
Susan is passionate about writing and helping others writers. She understands self-doubt, busy schedules, too many ideas, and the ‘am I good enough, can I do this syndrome’.
Why? Because Susan’s has been right where you are now.
She struggled with of the above. The day her first book launched she was terrified and riddled with self-doubt, but she persevered. Since then she has published six novels, a memoir, two cozy mystery collections, three nonfiction books and, too many short stories to mention.
Susan has developed and facilitated courses and workshops for Just for Writers for over 15 years in the Ottawa area this includes the Ottawa Carleton School Board—Continuing Education, private and government organizations.
Educated in the U.K. and Canada her qualifications include Teacher of Adults Diploma from Algonquin College, Novel and Short Story Diploma from the Institute for Writers U.S.A. Also, Susan is the founder of The Ottawa Story Spinners a local writers group, and the Vice-President of Ottawa Independent Writers.
She currently offers workshops and online courses that include First Sentence to First Sale—Three Course Series that cover a novice writer’s journey from writing to publication.
Coming soon, Channel Writing—Freeing the mind through meditation to develop ideas and write where your fingers take you. Healing Through Writing—Express your feelings on paper, in a journal, a story or write a letter you will never mail.
Books in progress include a new historical fiction/romance series, a contemporary sweet romance series and more short stories for anthologies.
StartWhy Do You Want To Write? (2:58)
StartDownload Worksheet for Why Do You Want to Write
StartKick Out Self-Doubt (2:29)
StartSacred Writing Places (2:35)
StartStolen Moments (3:06)
StartThe Squirrel Syndrome - Distractions (2:18)
StartWhat are you Prepared to Give up? (4:35)
StartWord Math - How Many Words in a Book? (3:28)
StartDownload Worksheet for Word Math
StartWhatever Your Choice, Write From Your Heart (2:20)
StartLiterary & General Fiction (2:17)
StartGenre & Subgenre Fiction (3:12)
StartWhat is Creative Nonfiction? (3:33)
StartMemoir & Life Stories (2:26)
StartJournalling & Therapy Writing (3:41)
StartNow, Answer the Question? (1:36)
StartDownload Worksheet for Now, Answer the Question